Last night’s Oscars ceremony had its ups and downs, but the ‘Prediction Box’ was by far the worst performance of the night. What started out as a loose joke about Neil Patrick Harris’ predictions for the outcome of the awards ended up being a humorless display that only caused outrage on Twitter.
A summary of the key events:
- Early in the evening (around 8:45 PM) after the ‘Best Supporting Actor’ award, NPH first announced that he had gone to PricewaterhouseCoopers to have them keep his predictions under lock and key. The locked briefcase is prominently displayed on stage in a secured glass box.
- NPH assigns Octavia Spencer watch duty, who seems thoroughly confused by the whole bit – but agrees to not leave for snacks or bathroom breaks.
- NPH periodically checks in with Octivia on the status of the box, breaking the flow of the ceremony with very awkward moments.
- Just before Common and John Legend present ‘Glory’ (11 PM), NPH checks in one more time – but wait! Octavia is not in her seat! …because she’s the one introducing the pair’s performance…
- After Eddie Redmayne and Julianne Moore take Oscars for Best Actor and Best Actress, NPH heads over to the box to open up his predictions. (12 AM, 30 minutes AFTER the Oscars should have ended).
- NPH recaps some of the highlights of the show, drawing a laugh from the audience, before ‘Birdman’ gets best picture.
NPH, we love you, and you really killed it last night, but please… no more predictions! or boxes!